Visit The Cinematheque
Update: June 14, 2021
The Cinematheque will reopen for in-person screenings on June 17 with a trio of cinema’s greatest masterworks. We are looking forward to welcoming our community back to the theatre and resuming in-person screenings at the theatre. Tickets are on sale now.
Virtual screening opportunities will continue to complement the in-theatre programming, ensuring those in the community who are unable to return at this time can still experience Cinematheque programming from home.
– – –
Please see below for information on what to expect when you visit us. You can find a full breakdown of our Health & Safety information here.
Our 153-seat theatre is in the heart of Downtown Vancouver, served by extensive transit links and surrounded by on-street metered parking. Box Office opens 30 minutes prior to the first screening of the day. Our theatre and washrooms are wheelchair accessible. For more accessibility information, please click here.
The Cinematheque theatre is available to rent. Click here for more info.
What to expect when visiting The Cinematheque
We have developed a comprehensive set of protocols to ensure we are doing everything we can to keep our patrons, staff, volunteers, and wider community safe. You can read a full breakdown here.
- Feeling unwell? Please stay home.
- Reduced capacity of 44 or less to ensure appropriate social distancing can be maintained.
- Increased cleaning of high-contact areas, restrooms, and seats.
- Front of house staff and volunteers will wear face masks at all times.
- Per orders from our Provincial Health Officer, all patrons are required to wear a mask if they are able to.
- Hand sanitizing and disposable non-medical masks will be available.
- Buy tickets online in advance when possible. Tickets will also be available for sale at the Box Office.
- Due to limited capacity, we ask that patrons in wheelchairs call ahead to reserve wheelchair spots and their adjacent companion seats.
- Reserve your seats when you purchase advanced tickets online or at the Box Office. Single and couple seating only. View the seating map here.
- Two lineups will form outside the venue. One for the Box Office and one for advanced tickets.
- At this time, online concession orders are not available. In-person concession orders may not be possible before all screenings. When available, in-person concession orders will be taken at Box Office and will close 15 minutes before showtime.
- Patrons will be asked to leave through the theatre exit onto Howe Street.
- General (18+)
- Student or Senior (65+)
Multi-film ticket packs are available for purchase at a discounted rate from our Gift Shop. Ticket rates may vary for special events.
Film Club, our family matinée series, has the reduced admission rate of $6 (ages 13 and under) and $10 (everyone else).
The Cinematheque Box Office opens 30 minutes prior to the first screening of the day.
Tickets can be purchased in advance online or during screening hours at our Box Office.
$3 Annual Membership
Unless otherwise indicated, a $3 annual membership is required for anyone aged 18+ attending a screening. Memberships can be purchased online when buying a ticket, or at Box Office. Screenings are restricted to 18+ unless otherwise indicated.
The Cinematheque is recognized as an exempt non-profit film society under the B.C. Motion Picture Act, and as such is able to screen films that have not been reviewed by Consumer Protection BC. Under this act, all persons attending our screenings must be members of the Pacific Cinémathèque Pacifique Society and be 18 years of age or older. We are responsible for operating in compliance with both the B.C. Motion Picture Act and Consumer Protection BC.
Some films will be exempt from the membership requirement, meaning patrons under 18 may be able to attend. This will be noted with a Consumer Protection BC classification on the individual event descriptions in our Program Guide and/or on this website.
1131 Howe Street
Canada V6Z 2L7
You will find our box office, theatre, and administration offices at 1131 Howe Street, between Helmcken and Davie. Click on the map to find us on Google Maps.
Numerous bus routes stop along the 1100 block of Granville Street, including #4, #6, #10, #14, and #50. Get off between Helmcken and Davie on Granville and walk one block west. You'll see us on Howe Street. Plan your journey using the TransLink website.
If you're coming by car, you will find on-street pay parking on all of the streets surrounding our theatre, as well as parking lots in the Holiday Inn (1110 Howe Street) across the street from us.
At this time, online concession orders are not available. Due to present circumstances, in-person concession orders may not be possible before all screenings. When available, in-person concession orders will be taken at Box Office and will close 15 minutes before showtime.
The Cinematheque Office, Library & Archive
200 – 1131 Howe Street
Canada V6Z 2L7
If you are planning to visit during office hours, whether it is to use our Film Reference Library, deliver something to our offices, or to meet with our administrative staff, you will need to access our office via our lane entrance, behind the theatre (between Howe and Hornby).
Office Hours: 9 am – 5 pm, Monday to Friday
(Access to administration offices via laneway)
Tel: 604 688 8202
Fax: 604 688 8204
General inquiries & feedback: