Visit The Cinematheque
September 8, 2021
Effective September 13, and in accordance with public health regulations, all patrons (12+) will need to show proof of vaccination to attend a screening at The Cinematheque. More details about this can be found here.
The theatre currently has a reduced capacity of 78 or less. All patrons are required to wear a mask if they are able. Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis. We ask that patrons maintain at least one seat distance between their party and other guests when selecting seats.
A comprehensive outline of our health and safety protocols can be found here.
– – –
Our 153-seat theatre is in the heart of Downtown Vancouver, served by extensive transit links and surrounded by on-street metered parking. Box Office opens 30 minutes prior to the first screening of the day. Our theatre and washrooms are wheelchair accessible. For more accessibility information, please click here.
The Cinematheque theatre is available to rent. Click here for more info.
What to expect when visiting The Cinematheque
We have developed a comprehensive set of protocols to ensure we are doing everything we can to keep our patrons, staff, volunteers, and wider community safe. You can read a full breakdown here.
- Feeling unwell? Please stay home.
- Reduced capacity of 78 or less.
- In accordance with public health regulations, proof of vaccination will be required as of September 13.
- Front-of-house staff and volunteers are required to wear a mask.
- Per orders from our Provincial Health Officer, all patrons are required to wear a mask if they are able.
- Hand sanitizing and disposable non-medical masks will be available.
- Increased cleaning of high-contact areas, restrooms, and seats.
- Buy tickets online in advance when possible. Tickets will also be available for sale at the Box Office.
- Box Office opens 30 minutes prior to the first screening of the day.
- When advance tickets for a screening are sold out, a limited number of first-come, first-served tickets will be released at Box Office on the day of the screening.
- Due to limited capacity, we ask that patrons in wheelchairs call ahead to reserve wheelchair spots and their adjacent companion seats.
- Concession is available to order in-person at the Box Office.
- Patrons will be asked to leave through the theatre exit onto Howe Street.
- General (18+)
- Senior (65+)
Screenings are restricted to 18+ unless otherwise indicated.
Multi-film Ticket Packs are available for purchase at a discounted rate from our Gift Shop. Ticket rates may vary for special events.
Film Club, our family matinée series, has the reduced admission rate of $6 for ages 13 and under.
The Cinematheque Box Office opens 30 minutes prior to the first screening of the day.
Tickets can be purchased in advance online or during screening hours at our Box Office.
By purchasing a ticket to a screening at The Cinematheque, you automatically become a member of the Pacific Cinémathèque Pacifique Society.
The Cinematheque is recognized as an exempt non-profit film society under the B.C. Motion Picture Act, and as such is able to screen films that have not been reviewed by Consumer Protection BC. Under this act, all persons attending our screenings must be members of the Pacific Cinémathèque Pacifique Society and be 18 years of age or older. We are responsible for operating in compliance with both the B.C. Motion Picture Act and Consumer Protection BC.
Some films will be exempt from the membership requirement, meaning patrons under 18 may be able to attend. This will be noted with a Consumer Protection BC classification on the individual event descriptions in our Program Guide and/or on this website.
1131 Howe Street
Canada V6Z 2L7
You will find our box office, theatre, and administration offices at 1131 Howe Street, between Helmcken and Davie. Click on the map to find us on Google Maps.
Numerous bus routes stop along the 1100 block of Granville Street, including #4, #6, #10, #14, and #50. Get off between Helmcken and Davie on Granville and walk one block west. You'll see us on Howe Street. Plan your journey using the TransLink website.
If you're coming by car, you will find on-street pay parking on all of the streets surrounding our theatre, as well as parking lots in the Holiday Inn (1110 Howe Street) across the street from us.
We have a selection of concession orders available to purchase in-person at Box Office. These include our delicious popcorn, Daniel Chocolates, Karameller candy, The Lemon Square, fountain soda, and hot beverages.
The Cinematheque Office, Library & Archive
200 – 1131 Howe Street
Canada V6Z 2L7
If you are planning to visit during office hours, whether it is to use our Film Reference Library, deliver something to our offices, or to meet with our administrative staff, you will need to access our office via our lane entrance, behind the theatre (between Howe and Hornby).
Office Hours: 9 am – 5 pm, Monday to Friday
(Access to administration offices via laneway)
Tel: 604 688 8202
Fax: 604 688 8204
General inquiries & feedback: