Health & Safety Information
Update: January 7, 2021
In observance of the updated provincial health orders, The Cinematheque theatre will remain closed for in-person screenings until further notice.
This closure is temporary. We look forward to seeing you all back in the theatre soon, but for now stay healthy and enjoy our virtual screening options from the comforts of home.
What to expect when visiting The Cinematheque
We have developed a comprehensive set of protocols to ensure we are doing everything we can to keep our patrons, staff, volunteers, and wider community safe. This will be a phased reopening in order for us to remain flexible as we navigate this new normal.
This information is subject to change, so check back for the latest updates before buying your ticket or visiting.
Masks & Hand Sanitizer
- All front of house staff and volunteers will be wearing face masks at all times.
- Per orders from our Provincial Health Officer, all patrons are required to wear a mask if they are able to.
- Disposable non-medical masks are available and hand sanitizing stations are located throughout the venue.
- If you wish to dispose of your mask during your visit with us, please do so in the marked landfill bins located in the restrooms, lobby, and entrance to the theatre.
We have developed an increased, systematic cleaning schedule. There will be extra time between screenings to incorporate these increased measures.
- A focus on regular cleaning of high-contact areas, such as door handles, counter tops, customer service barriers, and debit terminals.
- Sanitizing the seats between each screening.
- Thorough cleaning of the restrooms before, during, and after each screening.
- After-hours rigorous cleaning of the venue.
We recommend that patrons purchase tickets online in advance when possible. A select number of tickets will be available for purchase in-person at the Box Office before each screening.
- Online ticket sales end two hours before each screening.
- The Box Office will open 30 minutes before the first screening of the day.
- Debit and Credit sales are preferred, but cash will still be accepted.
- Due to limited capacity, we ask that patrons in wheelchairs call ahead to reserve wheelchair spots and their adjacent companion seats. You can reach us at 604 688 8202 during office hours.
At this stage, only individual or couple seating options are available. You can now reserve your seats when purchasing advanced tickets online or at the Box Office.
Attending a Screening
Before entering our space, please take a moment to familiarize yourself with our safety guidelines in accordance with WorkSafe BC. As mentioned, we ask that all patrons please wear a face mask if they are able to when visiting The Cinematheque.
If you feel unwell, particularly if you are experiencing flu-like symptoms, we ask that you please stay home.
If you need to purchase a ticket or want to attend a screening using a pass, please line up outside the Box Office door, on the right side of our main entrance.
If you already have a ticket for the screening, please line up outside the double doors on the left side of our main entrance.
Advanced seating reservations are now in place online and at the Box Office. You can view the current layout of the theatre seating here. A seat has been removed in every other row to enable patrons sitting in the middle seats to exit a row without needing to pass other members of the audience.
While in the theatre, we ask that you:
- Stay in your chosen seat and be mindful of any surfaces you are touching.
- Do not sit in any seats that are clearly marked as unavailable.
We now have a selection of individual items available to purchase when you buy tickets online! These include our delicious popcorn, Karameller Candy, Daniel Chocolates, Boylan Soda, and hot beverages.
Your order will be delivered to your assigned seat before the film starts, avoiding the need to line up in the lobby.
Please note: Due to present circumstances, in-person concession orders may not be possible before all screenings. We recommend purchasing concession items in advance, either online or with the purchase of advance tickets at our Box Office. When available, in-person concession orders will be taken at Box Office and will close 15 minutes before showtime.
Online Concession Sales: Only one concession order can be placed per transaction. If you are purchasing tickets for multiple films, this concession order will be applied to the earliest screening in your basket only.
A maximum of two people will be allowed in a restroom at one time, and there will be markers clearly indicating where the lineup should form.
Thorough cleaning of the restrooms will be conducted before, during, and after each screening.
Our restrooms are single stall, all gender restrooms. Everyone is welcome.
Virtual screening opportunities will continue to complement our in-theatre programming, ensuring those in our community who are unable to return at this time can still experience Cinematheque programming from home.
Please note that passes and Ticket Packs are not valid for virtual screenings.