Health & Safety Information
Update: July 1, 2021
With B.C. moving to Step 3 in its restart plan, you can expect to see some changes in the theatre implemented in phases over the coming weeks and months. As we gradually increase capacity and navigate the transition to post-pandemic operations, we are committed to ensuring the comfort and safety of our staff, volunteers, and patrons. Our staff and volunteers will continue to wear masks at this time and we encourage our patrons to do the same. Concession is available to order in-person at the Box Office and will be delivered to your seat.
From July 8, the cinema’s maximum seating capacity will increase to 61 (previously 44). When purchasing tickets, a buffer seat will be automatically held to the left and right of your selected seat(s) to allow for distance between groups in the theatre. The new seating map can be found here. Please see below for a comprehensive outline of our health and safety protocols.
What to expect when visiting The Cinematheque
We have developed a comprehensive set of protocols to ensure we are doing everything we can to keep our patrons, staff, volunteers, and wider community safe. This will be a phased reopening in order for us to remain flexible as we navigate this new normal.
This information is subject to change, so check back for the latest updates before buying your ticket or visiting.
Masks & Hand Sanitizer
- All front-of-house staff and volunteers will continue to wear face masks at this time.
- All patrons are encouraged to wear a mask if they are able to, especially when moving about the building and in the washroom.
- Disposable non-medical masks are available and hand sanitizing stations are located throughout the venue.
- If you wish to dispose of your mask during your visit with us, please do so in the marked landfill bins located in the restrooms, lobby, and entrance to the theatre.
We have developed an increased, systematic cleaning schedule. There will be extra time between screenings to incorporate these increased measures.
- A focus on regular cleaning of high-contact areas, such as door handles, counter tops, customer service barriers, and debit terminals.
- Sanitizing the seats between each screening.
- Thorough cleaning of the restrooms before, during, and after each screening.
- After-hours rigorous cleaning of the venue.
We recommend that patrons purchase tickets online in advance when possible. When advance tickets for a screening are sold out, a limited number of first-come, first-served tickets will be released at Box Office on the day of the screening.
- Online ticket sales end two hours before each screening.
- The Box Office will open 30 minutes before the first screening of the day.
- Debit and Credit sales are preferred, but cash will still be accepted.
- Due to limited capacity, we ask that patrons in wheelchairs call ahead to reserve wheelchair spots and their adjacent companion seats. You can reach us at 604 688 8202 during office hours. If these spaces are not reserved, they will be held until 15 minutes prior to showtime.
At this stage, only individual or couple seating options are available. You can now reserve your seats when purchasing advanced tickets online or at the Box Office.
Attending a Screening
If you feel unwell, particularly if you are experiencing flu-like symptoms, we ask that you please stay home. As mentioned, we encourage all patrons to wear a face mask if they are able to when visiting The Cinematheque.
Advanced seating reservations are now in place online and at the Box Office. You can view the seating map here. Seats have been removed in every other row to enable patrons sitting in the middle seats to exit a row without needing to pass other members of the audience.
While in the theatre, we ask that you:
- Stay in your chosen seat and be mindful of any surfaces you are touching.
- Do not sit in any seats that are clearly marked as unavailable.
We have a selection of concession orders available to purchase in-person at Box Office. These include our delicious popcorn, Daniel Chocolates, fountain soda, and hot beverages.
Your order will be delivered to your assigned seat before the film starts, avoiding the need to line up in the lobby.
Please line up in the lobby if there is not a stall available in either restroom. There are markers clearly indicating where the lineup should form.
Thorough cleaning of the restrooms will be conducted before, during, and after each screening.
Our restrooms are single stall, all gender restrooms. Everyone is welcome.
Virtual screening opportunities continue to complement our in-theatre programming, ensuring those in our community who are unable to return at this time can still experience Cinematheque programming from home.
Please note that passes and Ticket Packs are not valid for virtual screenings.