Health & Safety Information
September 8, 2021
Effective September 13, and in accordance with public health regulations, all patrons (12+) will need to show proof of vaccination to attend a screening at The Cinematheque. More details about this can be found here.
The theatre currently has a reduced capacity of 78 or less. All patrons are required to wear a mask if they are able. Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis. We ask that patrons maintain at least one seat distance between their party and other guests when selecting seats.
A comprehensive outline of our health and safety protocols can be found below.
What to expect when visiting The Cinematheque
We have developed a comprehensive set of protocols to ensure we are doing everything we can to keep our patrons, staff, volunteers, and wider community safe. This will be a phased reopening in order for us to remain flexible as we navigate this new normal.
This information is subject to change, so check back for the latest updates before buying your ticket or visiting.
Proof of Vaccination
Effective September 13, in accordance with public health regulations, all patrons (12+) must have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine in order to attend a screening at The Cinematheque. By October 24, you must be fully vaccinated. The requirement is in place until January 31, 2022 and could be extended.
Patrons (12+) will be required to show proof of vaccination on arrival at the theatre from September 13 onwards. The following official immunization records will be accepted:
BC immunization record
Accepted only until September 26, 2021
BC Vaccine Card
You can show this on your phone or bring a physical copy
An outside-of-BC immunization record
Accepted if you are visiting BC
Everyone aged 19+ must show government-issued photo ID with their proof of vaccination.
To help speed up the process, we ask that you have your proof of vaccination and photo ID ready when you arrive at The Cinematheque.
More information about proof of vaccination and the BC Vaccine Card can be found on the Government of British Columbia's website.
Masks & Hand Sanitizer
- All front-of-house staff and volunteers are required to wear masks.
- Per orders from our Provincial Health Officer, all patrons are required to wear a mask if they are able.
- Disposable non-medical masks are available and hand sanitizing stations are located throughout the venue.
- If you wish to dispose of your mask during your visit with us, please do so in the marked landfill bins located in the restrooms, lobby, and entrance to the theatre.
We have developed an increased, systematic cleaning schedule. There will be extra time between screenings to incorporate these increased measures.
- A focus on regular cleaning of high-contact areas, such as door handles, counter tops, customer service barriers, and debit terminals.
- Sanitizing the seats between each screening.
- Thorough cleaning of the restrooms before, during, and after each screening.
- After-hours rigorous cleaning of the venue.
We recommend that patrons purchase tickets online in advance when possible. When advance tickets for a screening are sold out, a limited number of first-come, first-served tickets will be released at Box Office on the day of the screening.
- Online ticket sales end two hours before each screening.
- The Box Office will open 30 minutes before the first screening of the day.
- Debit and Credit sales are preferred, but cash will still be accepted.
- Due to limited capacity, we ask that patrons in wheelchairs call ahead to reserve wheelchair spots and their adjacent companion seats. You can reach us at 604 688 8202 during office hours. If these spaces are not reserved, they will be held until 15 minutes prior to showtime.
Attending a Screening
If you feel unwell, particularly if you are experiencing flu-like symptoms, we ask that you please stay home. As mentioned, all patrons are required to wear a face mask if they are able when visiting The Cinematheque and proof of vaccination will be required from September 13.
While in the theatre, we ask that you:
- Stay in your chosen seat and be mindful of any surfaces you are touching.
- Maintain at least one seat distance between your party and other guests when selecting seats.
- Do not sit in any seats that are clearly marked as unavailable.
We have a selection of concession orders available to purchase in-person at Box Office. These include our delicious popcorn, Daniel Chocolates, Karameller candy, The Lemon Square, fountain soda, and hot beverages.
Please line up in the lobby if there is not a stall available in either restroom.
Thorough cleaning of the restrooms will be conducted before, during, and after each screening.
Our restrooms are single stall, all gender restrooms. Everyone is welcome.
Virtual screening opportunities continue to complement our in-theatre programming, ensuring those in our community who are unable to return at this time can still experience Cinematheque programming from home.
Please note that passes and Ticket Packs are not valid for virtual screenings.